Convenience Center - Public Recycling Center
Hours: 8:00 - 4:30 / Monday - Saturday
Telephone: (828) 698-4451
Facilities are closed on holidays as indicated in schedule
Located at 265 Convenience Center Drive off of Stoney Mountain Road
*IMPORTANT: The Henderson County Solid Waste facilities operate under a permit issued by NC DEQ. The Transfer Station and Convenience Center are not regional facilities; therefore, we cannot accept waste generated outside of Henderson County. If the waste brought to our facilities was not generated in Henderson County, your load will be refused. This also includes household waste brought to the bag-for-bag program at the Convenience Center.
All solid waste and recyclables being transported shall be encased by a tarpaulin, camper cover, metal cover, rigid cover, plastic or suitable material secured to prevent leakage or blowing of materials from the vehicle. This includes adequate coverage for bagged garbage. Please bag all solid waste. Loose waste results in more litter both on site and the surrounding areas. You will not be admitted into the Convenience Center or Transfer Station if your solid waste and recycling is not secure.
Click here to download a copy of the Henderson County Solid Waste & Recycling Brochure, containing guidelines for use of the Convenience Center and Transfer Station.
For special recycling events, visit www.hcrecycles.org.
The Convenience Center ACCEPTS the following items for recycling:
- All plastic containers (rinsed, dry, plastic tops/lids on)
- Glass containers (rinsed, dry, plastic/metal tops off)
- Gable top/carton containers (rinsed, dry, plastic tops/lids off)
- Aluminum and steel cans (rinsed, dry, plastic tops/lids off)
- Mixed paper (including junk mail, books, magazines, newspaper, office paper)
- Cardboard (flattened, packing material removed)
- Batteries (rechargeable and non-rechargeable; tape over positive terminals of household batteries)
- Used motor oil and used oil filters
- Cooking oil
- White goods (upright, doors removed) and scrap metal
- Peripheral electronics: small office equipment (scanners, printers, etc.), telephones, stereos, compact discs, keyboards, game consoles, etc.
- Mercury-containing products (click here for specific information)
Convenience Center DOES NOT ACCEPT the following items, but the Transfer Station does:
- Yard debris
- Yard waste
- Beneficial fill
- Mattresses & furniture
- Construction & masonry debris
- Garden hose reels or other large rigid plastics
- Sliding glass doors and windows
- Carpet, linoleum, other types of flooring
- Dried paint (must be in solid form for Transfer Station to accept)
- Plastic bags or film
- TVs and computer monitors