Sheriff's Citizens Academy
An In-Depth Program Providing Education and Crime Prevention Skills Through Personal Involvement
Available to Persons 21 Years of Age or Older
THE 2016 ACADEMY WILL BEGIN ON TUESDAY, JANUARY 19, 2016
The 2016 course is currently full. New applicants will be placed on a waiting list.
Sheriff's Citizens Academy Class of 2015-photo credit: Times-News
• Sheriff’s Office operations and programs
• Emergency communications and support from law enforcement, medical services and fire/rescue units
• Crime prevention through self-help techniques
• Interactive sessions
• Hands-on experience
• Involvement and FUN!
1. History of the Office of the Sheriff
2. Structure and Functions
3. Officer Education Requirements, Hiring and Training
4. Community Patrols.... Who, What, When, Where, How
5. Detective Bureau.... Functions, Investigations, Trends
6. Juvenile Crime.... Arrests and Rehabilitation
7. STAR Program and School Resource Officers
8. Drug Suppression
9. Special Enforcement Response Team, Bomb Squad and the K-9 Team
10. Fingerprinting, Booking and Detention
11. The Criminal Justice System.... Classes of Crimes, Common Charges, Probable Cause, Subpoenas, Warrants, Arrest and Trial
12. Communications - E 911....What it is and isn’t, Immediate Help, and Quick Location Response
13. Crime Prevention and You.... Personal Safety, Property Protections, Frauds and Scams, Recognizing and Reporting Suspicious Acts
14. Victim Assistance
15. “Volunteers In Partnership”
• The VIPs
• The Mounted Patrol
• The ATV Patrol
• Emergency Communications
• 13 week course that meets every Tuesday at 6:00 PM
• Graduation dinner and ceremonies with a guest speaker
• Students must attend a minimum of 10 of the 12 sessions to “graduate”
• Class sessions are held in the metro Hendersonville area
• Available to persons 21 years of age or older
How do I sign up ?
• Call the Henderson County Sheriff’s Citizen Academy Office at 828.694.2742 or come by and pick up an application in the lobby.
• Download an application and return the completed form to the Sheriff's Office.
• Program fee of $30 covers all class materials, student handbook, and graduation festivities.
• Applicants will be screened through the NCIC system and those with a significant history of problems will not be accepted. The Sheriff has complete discretion in this matter.Call the Henderson County Sheriff’s Citizen Academy Office at 828.694.2742 or come by and pick up an application in the lobby.
• Check the Announcements page/HCSO Facebook page/local newspapers for upcoming Citizens Academy courses.
Henderson County Sheriff’s Office
Attn: Sheriff’s Citizens Academy
100 North Grove Street
Hendersonville NC 28792-5027
Sheriff's Citizens Academy Director:
Henderson County Sheriff's Office
100 North Grove Street | Hendersonville, North Carolina 28792