Government, Nonprofit, Counseling, Homeownership, Home Rehabilitation, Emergency Housing and Service Provider Links
- Search/List Affordable Housing Properties
- NC Housing Search: Housing locator services allows people to locate available housing that best fits there individual and family needs.
- SocialServe: Socialserve.com is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that combines technology with award-winning customer service to provide customized housing locators and much more
- Credit Counseling
- On Track Financial Education and Counseling of WNC: Consultations for creating a budget for homeownership and reviewing credit reports prior to purchase. Credit counseling and foreclosure counseling for clients experiencing problems paying rent or mortgage, and other debts after purchase. (Appointments available in Henderson County).
- Legal Counseling
- Home Buyer Education
- Home Buyer Assistance
- Home Mortgage Assistance Corporation ((828) 685-9995): Provides non-monetary assistance to the family through the home buying process based on the family's request for assistance. Works with the lending agency and the owner to help assure that the loan does not go to foreclosure.
- Henderson County Habitat for Humanity, Inc. ((828) 696-9524): An ecumenical Christian housing ministry dedicated to eliminating substandard housing. Habitat works in partnership with people in need building simple, decent and affordable homes that are sold to them at no profit through no-interest loans.
- Housing Assistance ((828) 692-4744): Goal is to offer self-help housing for homeownership program and increase the supply and quality of affordable housing for low-income individuals in Henderson County. The HOWSER (Home Owner With Sweat Equity Rehabilitation) program (one of several) allows participants the opportunity to become homeowners by rehabilitating distressed housing. Housing Assistance identifies and purchases homes in need of repairs. A qualifying household contributes their sweat equity by participating in a portion of the repairs. Once the repairs have been completed the home is sold to the participating household.
- Self-Help Credit Union (1-800-229-7428 or (828) 253-5251): Its purpose is to extend mortgage opportunities to a greater range of people than that provided through conventional mortgage programs.
- USDA Rural Development Rural Housing 502 Loans ((828) 693-1743): Direct loans to purchase, repair, or construct a new home. Applicants must be low or very low-income and unable to qualify for a conventional loan. Good credit and stable employment are also required.
- Neighborhood Housing Services ((828) 251-5054): Down payment assistance loans also available to residents of Transylvania; Henderson; and Madison counties. Income restrictions to HUD income guidelines for homes.
- Henderson County Council on Aging ((828) 692-4203): Minor home repairs and grab-bar installation for persons 60+.
- Housing Assistance ((828) 692-4744): Owner-occupied housing rehabilitation and urgent home repair for low-income individuals in Henderson County.
- USDA Rural Development Rural Housing 504 Loans and Grants ((828) 254-0916): Grant applicants must be 62 years or older and be very low-income. Loan applicants have no age restriction but must be very low-income. Grants and loans for housing repairs.
- WCCA Weatherization Program ((828) 693-1711): This service is for low-income homeowners or renters needing housing improvements in order to make their homes more energy efficient. Improvements can be made to stick built houses and mobile homes.
- Independent Living Rehabilitation Program ((828) 298-9137): Home modification assistance relating to the accessibility needs of severely disabled individuals.
- Wastewater Discharge Elimination (WaDE) Septic Repair Program ((828)-251-6622): The septic repair program provides grants and forgiven loans to income qualified families to repair failing septic systems. This program is funded by NCDENR and administered by the Land-of-Sky Regional Council.
Emergency Housing Programs
- Hendersonville Rescue Mission: Emergency food and/or shelter assistance. Meals are offered to all who are hungry, and are open to the public.
- Interfaith Assistance Ministry: Assist Henderson County residents who are in financial crisis by offering emergency funds, food, clothing, counseling and referrals in an atmosphere of compassion and respect. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mainstay: Provides services for women who are victims of domestic violence and their children. These services include shelter, counseling, support groups, children’s programs and option coordination. Abuser education classes are also provided. Email: email@example.com
- The Salvation Army: Provides food, clothing, rent, utilities, furniture, shelter, and food to needy residents, transients, and homeless.
Utility and Service Providers
- Garbage Collection