Looking For..?
Permits and Inspections, (828) 697-4830
House under construction

Frequently-Asked Questions

Work that involves alterations to the structure, additions, extensions or replacement of insulation, wiring, plumbing, heating and air conditioning require permits & inspections. The scope of your project will determine if additional permits are required.

Extension or replacement of all technical trades requires permits and inspections.

The scope of your project determines what permits are required. All new construction, additions, or placement of a Mobile Home will require the following permits:

1. Zoning
2. Watershed (if applicable)
3. Environmental Health (if applicable)
4. Erosion Control (excludes the Town of Mills River)
5. Building


The certificate of occupancy will be sent to your power provider the day after your very last inspection has been passed. It is your responsibility to apply for power with the power company prior to the issuance of the certificate of occupancy. Notification is sent one time daily at 10:00 a.m. This is the only time of day we can send certificates of occupancy to the power company.

Duke Energy of NC : 1-800-777-9898 or www.dukepower.com
Progress Energy : 1-800-452-2777 or www.progress-energy.com

If your property is located in one of the municipalities the certificate of occupancy is sent to the municipal zoning office of where property is located. It is then the responsibility of that zoning office to send to your power company.

If you are in Henderson County’s zoning jurisdiction you may pick up a copy of your certificate of Occupancy at the Permit Center located at 100 N King St, suite 220; office hours are Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm.

If your property is located in one of the municipalities you will need to get a copy from your municipalities zoning office.

Except as exempted by NC General Statutes 87-1, 87-21 and 87-43 and NC Contractor Licensing laws all General Construction projects with the value $30,000.00 or greater and all trade construction (electrical, mechanical and plumbing) regardless of value shall be performed by appropriately licensed contractors. Being an employee of a licensed contractor does not qualify an individual to do work outside of the business of the employer. When a license is required, it is not legal for any person to work “under” a licensed contractor unless that person is a legitimate employee and under direction of that licensed contractor. It is not legal for any licensed contractor to allow any employee to perform work that requires a license, if that work is not directly under his/her control and/or the work is not legitimate part of the business of that licensed contractor. Violations of licensing laws carry significant penalties.

Failure to comply with laws requiring permits, licensing and inspections is a criminal act that may result in fines, penalties and criminal prosecution. A building can be condemned or utilities disconnected for violations of these codes. Illegal construction, renovation and/or occupancy of any building not complying with these requirements are prohibited by state law. (See NC G.S. 153A-371 & VC P&D Fee/Policy, section1.3) Penalties in Henderson County can also include $100 + double the permit fee.

The following represents typical costs to be included on Building Permit Applications:
1. Design and costs associated with construction plans and specifications
2. All building construction costs including soil exploration, excavation, backfill, compaction, shoring deep foundations and shallow foundations
3. Fixed or built-in equipment, including mechanical, electrical and plumbing (including kitchen equipment, elevators or lift equipment)
4. Special inspections and structural tests
5. Interior and exterior finishes
6. Fire protection systems
7. Costs in place including material, labor and equipment
8. Overhead, profit and ta

Click here to view Henderson County’s fee schedule to determine the cost of a building permit. Additional fees and/or permits from other departments (zoning, environmental health and erosion control) may be needed. Building permit fees do not include fees for other permits required prior to obtaining the building permit.
*All residential building permits using a licensed General Contractor will be charged an additional $10.00 for the NC Licensing Board’s “Homeowners Recovery Fund”.

Building Permits expire six (6) months after applying for permit if no inspections have been completed; If inspections have been made permit will expire twelve (12) months from the date of the last inspection.



Permits are obtained by the property owner, property owner’s agent, or contractor from the Permit Center located at 100 N King St in Hendersonville. Permits are issued between 8:30a.m.– 4:00 a.m., Monday – Friday.

Building inspections are required during each stage of construction to ensure compliance with construction codes and building plans. Refer to the “list of Inspections” for inspections and the order they are required.

The Building Code is available from the North Carolina Department of Insurance. Please call 919-661-5880 or visit their website www.ncdoi.com. Blue Ridge Community College bookstore (828-694-1720) may have Building Code books available.

You will need your permit number for any and all requests.
Inspections may be scheduled by fax, phone, or in person. Fax requests are accepted 24 hours a day/7 days a week @ 828-698-6185. Phone requests are accepted by calling 697-4830. All requests are scheduled for the next business day.*

• We cannot provide you with a time that your inspection will occur as the inspector plans his schedule based on his assigned inspections each day.
• *Fax requests received prior to 7:45 a.m. will be scheduled for inspection that day.
• Incorrect or incomplete information will not be scheduled for inspection.
• Inspection requests sent via Email or voice mail messages will not be accepted.

The Certificate of Occupancy is the document that states that a building or home may be legally occupied and conforms to zoning, environmental health (if applicable), and NC State Building Code requirements as of the date Certificate of Occupancy was issued. An owner or his representative can obtain a copy of e CO from the Permit Center or the zoning jurisdiction in which the structure is located.


No, a building permit is not required for a fence. Check with the zoning jurisdiction where property is located to inquire if they require a permit.

Septic systems are sized by the number of bedrooms in a home. The Environmental Health Department (828-694-6060) will need to verify that the septic system is adequately sized for the number of bedrooms in your home. If the septic system is not adequately sized you will be required to obtain permits to increase your septic system to accommodate the correct number of bedrooms in your home.

Storage sheds that are over 12 feet in any direction require permits. If the shed is less than 12 feet you will need to check with both the environmental Health Department (if you have a septic tank) and the zoning jurisdiction where the property is located to ask if a permit is required from their office.

Yes, swimming pools require a building permit and a barrier is required for all in-ground pools.

A plumbing permit is required and may be obtained at the Permit Center located at 100 N King St, Hendersonville NC. Permits are issued 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Contact the Hendersonville Water & Sewer Department @ 828-697-3063 or Cane Creek Sewer District @ 828-694-6608 for information regarding tap fees.

Most people refer to this as a “Perk Test” but the correct name is Site Evaluation. You will need the following to apply for a site evaluation permit:

• Zoning permit from jurisdiction where property is located
• Land Survey if parcel is less than 2 acres
• Site Plan
• Written authorization from owner, if applicant is NOT the property owner

See the Septic Application for details on these requirements.

• Submit plans to Inspection Department for approval at 100 N King St., Hendersonville NC 28792
• Obtain a zoning permit from zoning jurisdiction where property is located (some jurisdictions may require an additional set of plans for approval)
• Once the above criteria has been completed & approved you may apply for your sign permit at the Permit Center located at 100 N King St., Hendersonville NC 28792. Permits are issued 8:30 a.m.– 4:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday.

If the portion of your residence used as a home business involves employees or direct dealing with the public at large, that portion of your residence must comply with the same requirements as any other business, including requirements for firewall, separation, handicap parking, accessibility requirements and handicap restroom facilities. Home businesses must also comply with the zoning restrictions for the property. A private home office that is used solely for personal use is not required to meet commercial construction standards.

The following links allow you to verify NC licensing information.

• NC Licensing Board for General Contractors. www.nclbgc.com
• NC Board of Examiners for Plumbing, Heating, Fire Sprinkler and Refrigeration Contractors. www.licensing.org
• NC Board of Examiners for Electrical Contractors. www.ncboeec.org

The City of Hendersonville requires a business license for work that is done within Hendersonville city limits. Anyone doing business within the City’s jurisdiction is required to have a business license. This office is located on the third floor of City Hall in the Customer Service office. Phone: 828-697-3052.