Looking For..?
Department Banner

 

 

 


carbon monoxide poisoning


Danger! Carbon Monoxide Kills

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that kills without warning. It claims the lives of hundreds of people every year and makes thousands more ill. Many household items, including gas- and oil-burning furnaces, portable generators, power washers, and charcoal grills, produce this poison gas.

Following these important steps can keep your family safe.

  • Install battery-operated CO detectors near every sleeping area in your home.
  • Check CO detectors regularly to be sure they are functioning properly.
  • Have your gas or oil furnace inspected every year.
  • Never use a generator inside your home or garage, even if doors and windows are open.
  • Only use generators and power washers outside, more than 20 feet away from your home, doors, and windows.
  • Never use a charcoal grill inside.  

Resources

Fact Sheets

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning | Spanish

Generator Safety | Spanish

Proper Use of Generators in the Home | Spanish

Furnace Safety | Spanish

Websites

Carbon Monoxide (NC Health and Human Services)

Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Prevention (CDC)

Frequently Asked Questions (CDC)

How Close is Too Close for Portable Generators? (YouTube)


top of page

line

Appointments | Directions | Contact Us | Mission Statement | Notice of Privacy | Disclaimer


Department of Public Health • 1200 Spartanburg Highway, Suite 100 • Hendersonville, NC 28792 • (828) 692-4223

Last updated September 22, 2017