Looking For..?
Department Banner

Language Assistance is available upon request.

Adult and Family Care Homes

Adult Care Homes (ACH) also referred to as Rest Homes, Homes for the Aged, or Assisted Living, are homes which provide residential care for seven (7) or more aged and disabled adults. 

Family Care Homes (FCH) provide for two (2) to six (6) individuals.   These homes provide around-the-clock or live-in staff that prepare meals, supervise medications, and provide assistance with bathing, grooming and other personal care needs.

ACH/FCH’s not only provide care for the elderly, but also for those with mental illnesses, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse problems. (Homes which serve developmentally disabled individuals are licensed and monitored by Mental Health. Questions or concerns about these facilities should be directed to the Division of Health Service Regulation- Mental Health Section at 828-665-8705.)    

Nurses are not required in Adult Care Homes, although some do have nurses and certified nursing assistants on staff. Aides provide assistance with the activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming and feeding.  ACH/FCH’s are different from nursing homes in the level of care they provide and the qualifications of staff.

NC Division of Health Service Regulation is responsible for licensing Adult Care Homes and Family Care Homes with Henderson County Department of Social Services being responsible for providing an Adult Home Specialist (AHS) to monitor the facilities’ provision of services to the residents as set forth by State standards. The AHS’s purpose is to monitor rules compliance, investigate complaints, and provide technical assistance to facilities working with a very challenging and diverse population.

To make inquiries regarding ACH/FCH’s or to make a Facility Complaint, call Adult Services Intake at 828-694-6241.


Enhanced Care
Land of Sky Ombudsman
NC Division of Health Service Regulation